If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a rendition of my mom’s classic apple cake that we made with apples from our orchard. It’s perfect on it’s own or served with vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of honey and a sprig of rosemary.
Makes 8 large cakes slices
- 4-5 large firm granny smith apples (2 cups), cored, peeled and sliced into ¾” pieces
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees.
- Grease tube pan and lightly dust with flour, shaking to coat the pan. Discard any excess flour.
- In a large bowl combine apples, sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- While fruit is macerating, in a separate bowl mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- Meanwhile with an electric mixer beat eggs and sugar until creamy. Add oil, orange juice and vanilla and mix until blended.
- Slowly incorporate 1/3 of the flour mixture to blend, being sure not to over beat. Repeat process until entire mixture is well combined.
- Pour half of the batter in the pan. Arrange half of the apples in a circular fan around the center “tube.” Pour the remaining batter in the pan and arrange the second half of the apples in the same manner.
- Bake for one hour, until cake is spongy to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Allow cake to set for one hour before removing from pan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.