If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The moist cake is a tasty match for the crunchy streusel. This was perfect for a special dessert and even better for breakfast the following day. Feel free to use whatever apples you have. Most recently I made this with 1 Macoun, 1 Golden, and 2 Granny Smiths. —Emily Franklin
For the Cake
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
For the Streusel
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into small pieces (about 1 inch)
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and in pieces
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 handful mixed chopped nuts (Optional, for those who are nut-allergic)
- Heat oven to 350. Grease a tube pan (a nine or ten inch works fine). Combine the streusel ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Add in chopped apples. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla extract, and the vanilla yogurt.
- With mixer low, add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just blended.
- Pour about half of the batter into the pan and sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture. Cover with remaining batter. Top with remaining apples and streusel mixture. Pat the streusel down gently so it really sticks into the batter.
- Bake at 350 for about an hour or until tester comes out clean. Let cool for ten minutes or so and then invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).