If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For a very long time, this was the only way mom could make me eat any cauliflower (I hated it in everything else). It's a simple Indian recipe (aloo - potatoes, gobhi - cauliflower), part of a homely everyday meal. It is in fact so humble that we take it for granted - when I called mom up to confirm the recipe, she asked me "Are you sure this is the recipe you want? I have a new biryani recipe..." You can find all the ingredients easily at any Indian store. Like many Indian dishes, you can make it ahead of time - serve hot with chapatis. - Heena —Heena
Food52 Review: Heena's aloo gobhi is warming and delicious. The cauliflower and potato all steam together nicely, as the well-balanced cocktail of spices seep in. The perfect finishing touch would be a dollop of yogurt or raita. - Kristen —The Editors
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small cauliflower, chopped and separated into florets
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (or as per taste) red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a slightly heavy-bottomed pan. (In India, we use something called a kadhai, shaped similar to a wok.) Add the mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves. (Careful as they will sputter.) Saute for half a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and saute over medium heat till they are translucent.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, turmeric, chilli and coriander powder and mix well. Cover and cook over low heat so that the vegetables cook in their own steam. Stir from time to time.
- After about ten minutes, add garam masala powder, salt and pepper and mix well. Cover and cook till the vegetables are completely tender, another 10-15 mins. (Check as this sometimes varies depending on the type of potatoes.)
- Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.