Author Notes: I was on a roasted cauliflower kick, when I felt like doing something a bit different. I rummaged around, and made this with what was in my kitchen. I prefer recipes that are easy to prepare, but don't taste that way :). Simplicity is sometimes better, allowing you to savor all the flavors without being overwhelmed. I hope this recipe does that for you. - rhinna
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Brown the breadcrumbs in a frying pan on medium heat, stirring frequently until golden. Remove from pan, set aside. In the same pan, melt the butter, then add the garlic - cook for a few minutes medium low, until garlic is tender. Remove from heat, add the breadcrumbs and toss. Set aside.
Pasta and Sauce
- 1/4 cup EVOO (more or less)
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 anchovy filets crushed to a paste
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup Freshly grated Romano Cheese
- 1/3-1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 ounces chopped pancetta
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 head of Cauliflower, broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons EVOO (for Cauliflower)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Penne pasta cooked, drained
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss Cauliflower with 2-3 TBS of EVOO, place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 30 minutes, turning/stirring about every ten minutes or until brown. Set aside.
- Heat the EVOO for the sauce in a large pan - add the garlic and pancetta - cook over medium heat until the pancetta begins to brown.
- Add the red pepper, anchovies, capers. Continue cooking until pancetta is golden. Toss in the parsley, squeeze in the lemon juice, add the cauliflower and walnuts and combine all.
- Place pasta in a serving dish, and pour sauce over. Add about 1/3 cup broth, mixing until pasta is evenly coated. (It will "thin out" the pancetta/cauliflower mixture a bit and allow more even coating)
- Add romano cheese, toss again.
- Garnish with a generous sprinkling of garlic breadcrumbs and serve immediately with extra romano cheese for sprinkling.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe