If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Can be made with a combination of sweet potatoes and white potatoes for a lovely layered variation. —Cooking with Michele
- 3 fennel bulbs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced into half moons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- nutmeg, optional
- 2.5 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the inside of a 9 x 13 or 10 x 15 baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and olive oil, then saute fennel and onions until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Place a layer of the potatoes on the bottom, overlapping edges slightly. Drizzle cream over the potatoes and then spread some of the onions and fennel over. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using). Repeat layers and then spread gruyere cheese over the top. Press layers down slightly at the end.
- Bake at 375° for 60 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and cream has thickened. Remove from oven and let sit for about 15 minutes before cutting to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Gratin
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.