If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been wanting to do this for a couple of years now. Seems like a great time with Halloween coming on. I have made candy before and many other treats but this just looked like fun. It is soul satisfying to see the smile on their faces and their eyes light up. I am pretty sure Lynnie is giving it the seal of approval. - thirschfeld
Serves 6 to 12 depending on the size
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sour apple or raspberry flavoring oil,
- 5 to 6 drops green or red food coloring
- lollipop sticks
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt in a medium sized sauce pan. You want something big enough that the sugar won't boil over but also something that the candy thermometer will be able to get an accurate reading.
- Place the pan over high heat and stir it once or twice. Do not stir after that and cook the syrup till it reaches the hard crack and close to caramel temp(310 degrees on a candy thermometer). The sugar will just begin to darken to a tan color. While you are waiting lightly oil one large or two smaller baking sheets.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the flavoring and the food coloring and stir the sugar.
- Let it cool for just a moment, if it is to hot it will spread to thin for you to be able to put a stick in it. I used a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop to ladle out the sugar and it worked fine. Work quickly or you will have a hard mass of sugar in a bowl. Place a stick immediately into the sucker after you have poured it and before you make another sucker or they will be to hard.
- Let the lollipops rest and harden on the tray for about 10 minutes. You will want to spin them off of the tray so to speak or use a thin metal spatula. Wrap in wrappers and store.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Halloween Treat
Not Just for Shmear
How to make your leftover bagel even better.
Eat Bagels for Lunch.
Listing What We Like.
Go play outside!
DIY Herb Rubs
3 Ways to Compost