If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When my kids were little, I always made special food for Hallowe'en, whether it was blue mashed potatoes and green chicken or hot dogs baked in French rolls with bacon and cheddar, orange pumpkin bars for dessert. But kids grow up, and as the troops of midgets ringing my urban doorbell grew fewer and further between, I turned to grown-up parties with spicy sweet-potato soup. Hallowe'en comes in the narrow window when apples and plums are both in season, so I always make fall-window flan. This recipe owes its origin to French clafouti as interpreted by Julia Child as gratin de pommes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking,Volume Two. I've reduced the butter and flour combined the fruits and added flavorings. —magdance
- 4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 8-12 prune plums, pitted and quartered
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus some for greasing pan)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons rum, brandy or cointreau
- Sauté apples in butter in a 12" frying pan until partially soft and browning. Sprinkle with 2 T. sugar and watch heat carefully so sugar caramelizes without burning. Turn off heat.
- Put apples in a ring near the edges of a greased gratin or quiche pan, 9" or larger. Leave the center empty.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 T. liquor, liqueur or fruit juice, and pour remaining liquid over the apples.
- Cook plums in the same frying pan with another 2 T.sugar until the juices are released and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Mound plums in the center of gratin dish.
- Beat eggs in a bowl with 2 T. sugar, add flour, cream, and vanilla. Pour custard over and around fruits. Bake 45 minutes at 360 degrees or until puffed and brown. Let cool a little and serve, or serve cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Halloween Treat
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.