If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Apple Cake recipe was passed along to me at my bridal shower by sister in law. It's my husband's favorite birthday cake, much to the chagrin of my chocolate loving daughters. It doesn't require a mixer, so it's an easy recipe to make in a kitchen with limited equipment. I've upped the spices and started baking it in a round pan (instead of the original square). It got its name from a recent synagogue dinner where I made 8 of this cake to great acclaim. This cake must be cooked through or it tastes raw. It gets better with age (within reason). As noted below, I have recently stopped adding raisings and have started adding a sprinkle of raw sugar to the top - creates a lovely top. Enjoy! - allie —allie
Food52 Review: I loved this cake! And my dinner guests did too, as expressed by the delighted comments that managed to sneak out amidst the very concentrated munching. It's wonderfully easy to make, and just as (dangerously!) easy to eat. Moist but not too dense, full of warm fall spices, and quite sweet but not at all cloying. The best part, I thought, was the abundance of apple chunks in every bite. This is truly a cake that's about the apples, just as you hope an apple cake would be. This will definitely become a go-to cake in my household. - fiveandspice —The Editors
- 2 cups apple, diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup neutral oil (like grapeseed oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a pinch ginger, cloves, nutmeg and/or allspice (use whatever combination you like)
- 1/2 cup raisins (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (or maple sugar)(optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a round 8 inch cake pan with pam and line bottom with parchment paper. If you double recipe, use 9x13 pan or just make 2 cakes.
- Combine apples and sugar in a large bowl. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs, oil and vanilla with a whisk (I do it in measuring cup I use for oil). Add to apples (use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix).
- Stir together all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add gradually to apple mixture with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add raisins (if using) and mix again. Batter will be thick. Sprinkle top generously with raw sugar (if using).
- Bake 35-40 min at 350 -- it may take longer-- test with a toothpick - until top is brown, feels firm and the sides of cake pull away. This is a cake you should not undercook.
- Before serving, can sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Take a Trip with Tropical Drinks
Cocktails to make you feel like you're on vacation
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Grilled cheese, please.
It's time to travel.
Put cake on a pedestal.