Author Notes: A humble pea soup can be cooked a thousand different ways and can be made to suit most occasions and seasons. Served chilled, it can be perfect for a summer or spring lunch. All you really need is some peas and a blender. Rest of it can be put together based on the state of your fridge and pantry! The following is a very quick and simple recipe with no fancy ingredients. - anu
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 scallions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Grated pecorino romano/parmigiano reggiano, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add roughly sliced garlic.
- Add chopped up scallions and saute for 1 minute.
- Add thawed peas, or if you are feeling too lazy, just add them frozen.
- Once the peas are coated with oil, add salt and pepper.
- Add about a cup of water and cook until peas are done. Don’t over cook them. It should take just about 1-2 minutes for this much quantity.
- Transfer to a blender and purée.
- Put the puréed mixture back in the pot. Don’t boil it, just simmer for a few seconds while mixing in the cream.
- If it’s too thick, just add some water and heat through. If it is too thin, add a little more cream.
- Check for salt and pepper, sprinkle the cheese and serve with toasted bread.