If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I consider this an “heirloom recipe.” It’s from my “other mother,” Flora Hayden. All Flora’s kids LOVE this dressing and make it for every occasion. In addition to serving this with turkey, I use it to recreate Flora’s Baked Chicken and Dressing (browned pieces of chicken are “buried” in the dressing in a deep roaster and baked for about 1 1/2 hours) and to stuff double-thick pork chops. Once you’ve mastered the recipe, you’ll think of many ways to enjoy it. —ChefJune
Serves enough dressing to accompany 1 turkey or to bury two chickens
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 8-inch pan cornbread
- 8 slices crisp toast
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon powdered sage
- 2 extra-large eggs
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté celery, bell pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Mash all the ingredients together in a bowl. Add more stock if necessary to thoroughly moisten the mixture. (Be careful not to make it too mushy.).
- Place in an oiled baking dish, cover with foil, shiny side in, and bake for 1 hour in the 325 degree oven with the turkey.
- Teacher’s Tip: “I never stuff anything with dressing/stuffing. I LOVE dressing and if you stuff something, there just wouldn't be enough!” – quote from Sheila Thomas.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
Cut to the Chase
How to take care of your cutting boards
Take care of your cutting boards.
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Un-junk your closet (or hide it).
Get your shine on.