If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a wonderful recipe we featured last year on Flavorista. It's loaded with apples and sneaky "healthy" ingredients. —flavoristabarr
Serves 12 pieces
- 2 1/2 cups Flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup Muscovado Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Buttermilk
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cups Canola or safflower oil
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup almond slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and line a 9x13inch baking pan with parchment.
- Place the eggs and sugars into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Sift together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk, extract and oil to the egg and sugar mixture.
- Cup by cup add the dry ingredients to the wet until fully mixed.
- Fold in the chopped apples, nuts and dried cherries and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Use a tooth pick to insure that the center of the cake is done. Allow to cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and cutting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
Z Is for Zucchini
Learning to love the summer squash
Show zucchini some love.
Blend your plums—seriously.
It's time to travel.
It's all about the sauce.