If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I learned this recipe as a child. I remember watching my mother peel the apples in one long curly strip. Now, it is one of my favorite desserts for dinner parties. Really simple and looks so elegant. Pretty healthy too! I like it best with Granny Smith apples. —Dr. Kro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup dry, fine, unflavored bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an angel food cake pan and sprinkle the bread crumbs until there is a thin layer then shake out the rest.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and milk.
- Add sugar and salt and continue to beat until well combined.
- Add flour and mix thoroughly.
- Peel the apples (any peeling method is acceptable...) Cut apples vertically in half and scoop out the core. Cut thin slices lengthwise. Add to bowl, folding apple slices into the cake batter.
- Spoon the batter into your round pan and level off. Use a fork or your fingers to dot the surface with the butter. This will give the cake a golden top.
- Bake on top rack 50-60 minutes or until the top is a light golden brown. Remove cake from pan when cool enough to handle.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
A slime-free way to make okra
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.