If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups butternut squash, in 1 inch cubes
- goat cheese, for serving
- In large pot, cook bacon on medium/high heat till all the fat is melted off and bacon is cooked.The remaining bacon will make an absolutely wonderful garnish. If you prefer no pork, you may use butter or olive oil.
- Remove bacon, leaving fat. Add garlic, shallots, and seasonings and cook for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce to deglaze pan, scraping bottom of pan to get off all the cooked bits. At this point, add the butternut squash and cook for about 5 minutes to get the seasonings to meld a bit with the squash before adding more liquid.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. As soon as it hits the boil, add the sherry. You MAY use more sherry, but please don’t leave it out. It makes all the difference!
- Boil for 15 minutes before reducing it to a simmer. Add the bourbon as soon as you lower the temperature to a simmer. Oh, and you can add more bourbon as well. Bourbon doesn’t tend to be sold in ¼ cup increments, so be friendly. Simmer for 45 minutes with the lid on.
- Turn off the stove and add the soup in two batches to a food processor. When you add the soup to the processor, be sure to cover the top with a towel because it might leak from the top. Blend both batches and return to pot. You may serve now or let it simmer a bit longer.
- Serve with a creamy lump of goat cheese and some bacon crumbles. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
Good day, sunshine.
Gifts for Mother's Day
Make better cookies.