If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a family recipe, very special to me as it was one of the first cakes I stated baking when I was 10. It's like a pound cake but baked in a larger cake tin so it comes out lower. I have cooked it over and over and with time added some changes like cinnamon and walnuts for an extra crunch. - Maria Teresa Jorge
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnuts fresh cut up
- 2 tablespoons corn flour for dusting the tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 300ºF with the rack in the middle.
- Butter a 23cm diameter cake tin and dust with corn flour - it gives the cake sides an added crunchiness.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer beat the butter with the sugar until creamy and very fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Incorporate the flour mixture lightly.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and fold them in the cake mixture very lightly.
- Wash, peel and core the apples and cut them in slices. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and mix to coat well.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter in the cake tin and smoothen the top. Add the slices of apple pressing them vertically into the batter. Divide the remaining batter in dollops with a spoon and leave as is without smoothning the top. Sprinkle with the walnuts.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (it may come out wet from the fruit but shouldn't come out with uncooked batter).
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.