Author Notes: I had gone to the Greenmarket and picked up a big butternut squash along with some wonderful sheep's milk ricotta. We had roasted the squash and had a fair amount left over. The next day I took the squash out of the fridge and happened to see the ricotta on the shelf begging to be eaten. - rbnyc
- 1 medium butternut sqush
- 1/2 cup ricotta (preferably sheep's milk)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cups brown sugar (optional)
- Cut squash in half and roast (with seeds in) face down in a baking dish at 425 degrees until soft (approximately 40 minutes)
- Remove seeds (can be reserved for roasting) and scoop squash from skin.
- Add all remaining ingredients and using either a fork or an immersion blender (depending on preferred texture) combine or smooth or slightly chunky.
- Reheat in oven until hot. If desired add enough brown sugar over the top to cover and broil until carmelized.