If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I roast all the vegetables together - both for ease and to get a delicious caramelization going on before I mash 'em all up. - apartmentcooker —erinmcdowell
Food52 Review: Comfort food is definitely the category this hearty, homey side dish falls into. This dish captures the sweetness of the squash and the earthiness of the potatoes and bridges the two with fragrant caramelized onions and garlic. If you want a smooth puree like mash you will have to use an immersion blender or other blender of some sort, but if you like your mashes with some variation in texture (tasty onion chunks, for example) you can smash it up with a potato masher, like the cook's notes say. - fiveandspice —The Editors
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- olive oil, as needed
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- pinch ground ginger
- In a large bowl, toss the squash, potatoes, onion, and garlic cloves together. Drizzle generously with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables into an even layer on a baking sheet and roast until tender and slightly caramelized, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the warm roasted veggies to a large bowl and mash (I use an immersion blender, but you can use a fork or a potato masher). Add the cream and butter and mash until smooth and well combined.
- Season with salt, pepper, and ginger to taste. Serve warm.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
What and where to eat on Maryland's eastern shore
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Transform the humble shoebox.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Summer, please don't go.
Get your shine on.