If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is adapted from my Grandma Bessie's sour cream coffee cake recipe (a fairly classic Jewish "Bundt Kuchen"). You can also make this with fresh peaches or berries, or skip the fruit altogether for a more basic cake. —WinnieAb
Make the struesel topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts- optional
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Make the struesel by combining the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and optional nuts in a small bowl. Cut in the butter until the struesel resembles course crumbs.
Make the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup apples, peeled and sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (325°F if using a glass pan). Butter a 9-inch bundt or tube pan, or use a deep dish pie pan or a 9-inch springform pan.
- Make the batter by first mixing together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set the flour mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth, then add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, several minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Blend in the yogurt and vanilla. Remove bowl from mixer and stir in the flour mixture.
- Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. Add a layer of apples, then sprinkle with half of the streusel. Add the remaining batter and sprinkle with the rest of the streusel.
- Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Wrap well and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
A multilayered lunchbox to love.
We give it 8 tentacles up.