If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was thinking about how unfortunate it is that Butternut Squashso often takes a back seat and is relegated to either soup or as side dish but is rarely given kudo's as an entree...so I decided to create a substantial, filling, Entree using Butternut Squash & Polenta as key ingredients but presented as the vegetarian answer to Crab Cakes. - micki barzilay
- 1 large Butternut Squash
- 3 cups polenta
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 green onion (scallions)
- 1/2 cup creme fresh or sour cream
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 ounces butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut open butternut squash, remove skin & seeds, cut into cubes & steam till soft. Once cooked remove, drain, and mash adding 2 oz butter. Set aside.
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil , add 3 cups of polenta. Stir constantly till it is firm enough to stick to an upside down spoon ,Using a hamburger shaper press polenta to shape patty. Oil a baking tray with coconut oil & 2 oz butter and place polenta patties on tray
- Pipe or stack butternut squash uniformly on top of the polenta patties.Lightly dust with flour . Break eggs into a small bowl and whip till frothy. Paint egg mixture on top of dusted flour and sprinkle panko on top. Place in oven and bake at 350 till firm, egg is cooked, and the color is golden brown ( app 15 min). Remove and plate -serve immediately while golden hot .. with a butter knife just run a small amount of butter over the top then garnish with strips of green onion ( scallions) and a dollop of creme fresh ( or sour cream). Delish !
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
Our Latest Contest
Your Best Salad Without Lettuce
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!