Author Notes: This is my go-to feel good recipe to chase away any cold weather blues. The richness of the coconut milk, warmth of the curry, and the nuttiness of the pistachios come together to form a perfect symphony. A favorite variation of mine is to use pears, which has a sweeter and less tart quality than apples, making this one of my favorite things to make in the Fall. - Experimental Culinary Pursuits
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 pears
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 handful crushed pistachios
- 1-2 dash salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Attack the Butternut Squash with purpose, penetrate it’s stubborn outer layers to get into the aromatic earthy inner deliciousness. Then cut into 1 inch cubes
- Peel, core and cut the pears into about the same size as butternut squash
- Cook the butternut squash in vegetable broth, bringing to a boil until squash is tender.
- In small batches, puree the squash & pears along with the vegetable broth in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the puree back into the pot and stir in coconut milk, curry powder, and some salt & pepper to bring out flavor as needed.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until flavors are well integrated
- Spoon the bisque into bowls and top with crushed pistachios
- Fill up your tummy with steamy goodness
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash