If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a "wake up and pay attention" kind of salad! The sweet squash is further sweetened and perked up with brown sugar and cayenne. The whole squash is utilized; even the seeds. Then it meets peppery arugula and an uncompromising dressing to match its' sweetness and spicy flavors. —dymnyno
Serves 4 or more
- 1 1 pounds butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butternut squash seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups arugula
- 10 slices pancetta
- pecorino cheese shavings
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon banyuls vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon sriracha chili sauce
- Peel the butternut squash and trim it so the rounds and circles are uniform and clean. Reserve the seeds and clean, rinse and dry them.
- In a large baggie, put the squash, olive oil, brown sugar, sea salt and cayenne. Shake it to evenly coat the squash.
- Remove the squash from the baggie and place on a silpat on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes until slightly carmelized.
- Toast the squash seeds with a little sea salt in a saute pan.
- Saute the pancetta until very crispy.
- Shave the pecorino cheese into curls with a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife.
- Mix the dressing: Sriracha sauce, banyuls vinegar, pomegranate molasses and olive oil.
- Toss the arugula with the dressing (to taste). Arrange on a plate.
- Arrange the butternut circles and dots in the arugula. Also arrange the pancetta in and on the arugula.
- Garnish with the toasted butternut seeds and the pecorino curls. Sprinkle with more dressing if needed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.