If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 3/4 cups roasted butternut squash
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven at 350. Bake both squash whole for 30 minutes to soften skin. Remove from oven, cool, and peel. Cut squash in half, de-seed and chop into 1” pieces. Place 1” cubes into a baking dish and roast for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Pass 1/2 of butternut squash cubes through a food mill and into a large metal bowl. A potato smasher works as well if you don't have access to a food mill.
- Add salt and egg to squash and mix.
- Add 1 3/4 cups of flour and work in to squash until just combined. Add 1/4 of flour at a time until dough is still slightly tacky but workable. Careful not to over kneed.
- Flour work surface and working 1/4 of dough at a time, roll dough into 1/2 diameter ropes with the palms of your hands. Dust work surface and hands with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Cut ropes of dough into 1" pieces and transfer to a sheet pan that has been dusted with semolina or all-purpose flour.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil over medium heat.
- 2 3/4 cups butternut squash, roasted and cubed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 pound wild mushrooms ( We used chanterelles and cauliflower mushroom. Any mild mushroom such as Oyster or Shimeji could be substituted. )
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 4 cups lacinato ( dinosaur ) kale ( 6 to 8 stalks ), sliced in 1" strips width wise
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Over medium high heat, cook 4 T butter till it starts to brown. Fry chiffonade of sage in brown butter. Remove sage from pan and reserve.
- Spoon 1 T of butter from pan into a large metal bowl.
- Add shallots to pan and saute for until they start to turn translucent.
- Add wild mushrooms to pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add kale, thyme, and butternut squash and saute till kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook 1/3 of the gnocchi at a time in pot of boiling water. When gnocchi floats spoon into bowl with the 1 T of butter and toss.
- Place cooked gnocchi in bowl and top with sauteed vegetables. Sprinkle toasted hazelnuts over the top and serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
Gnocchi with a Twist
Gno potato, gno problem.
When I dip, you dip, we dip.
Style with a breeze.
All hail fried toast.
White and Gray Ceramic Vase
For fresh blooms.