Author Notes: This recipe was brought home by our daughter, Kacie after a cooking class at Young Chef's Academy here in Austin. I tweaked to include orange flavorings and it made for a perfect alternative to coffee cake to serve at brunch or a gathering. Word of Caution: very moist and delicious. - cakillgore
Makes appx. 20 pieces
- 1 1/4 cup Salted Butter, Softened
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/3 cup Yogurt (Plain Greek)
- 1 Zest of One Orange
- 4 cups Confectioners Sugar (mixed with Juice of Zested Orange, Water and Orange Extract) to drizzle over cake when done.
- 1-Preheat oven to 300° F. Prepare 9 x 13 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- 2-In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg yolks, one at a time.
- 3-In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- 4-Alternately combine flour mixture and yogurt to the butter mixture. Slowly mixing until smooth. Fold in grated orange zest.
- 5-Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake at 300° F for 45 minutes.
- 6-Remove from oven and pour mixed confectioner’s sugar on cake while warm. (I poke small holes w/toothpicks in cake to let topping soak in).
- 7-Allow to cool. Cut into squares.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe