Author Notes: This is a variation of a make-ahead recipe I found years ago. Most of the work is done the day or so before and it frees you up to do other things the day of. - cookingcontestjunkie - cookingcontestjunkie
Food52 Review: I really appreciate the method for making this gravy-- reduced stock for intensified flavor, a make-ahead element, and a clever trick for skimming the fat off the pan drippings. The Ziploc trick is great, but be sure to snip the bag conservatively and be prepared to move quickly to avoid squirting turkey juice in places you don't want it. The sage flavor makes the gravy taste like the holidays, but I can also see making this gravy with other herbs like rosemary or thyme (or a combination). I needed a little more salt than what the recipe calls for, due to the seasoning of my stock and the drippings, I'm guessing. This is a good recipe to use if you're looking for recipes to make a day or two before an event. - vvvanessa - A&M
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage,divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- all pan drippings
- Mix flour and butter in medium bowl.Heat large saucepan over high heat and add 2 cups stock,bring to a boil.Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup.Add remaining stock(3 cups) and bring to a boil.
- Stir 1 cup into flour mixture,stirring with whisk until smooth.Pour mixture into same saucepan,reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened,about 5 minutes.Stir in 2 t.sage,salt and pepper.Let cool and refrigerate,covered,over night.
- Remove drippings from turkey roasting pan and place in fat-separating cup or small zip-lock bag placed in measuring cup.Let stand 5-10 minutes to let fat rise to top.Snip of corner end of bag and drain drippings into cup.
- Place roasting pan over two burners on medium heat.Add the drippings, the made-ahead gravy base and 2 t.chopped sage.Scrape the pan to loosen the tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pan,reduce the heat and cook,stirring for about 5 minutes.Adjust salt and pepper,to taste.