Author Notes: A few weeks ago I needed nigella seeds for a recipe. They only came in a giant bag. I didn't want the bag to languish only to be used the 3x a year when we make Indian food at home. I wanted to find another use for them besides the traditional ones. Additionally, I love vegetables in ribbon form, rutabaga, asparagus, carrots, zucchini, you name it. - Summer of Eggplant
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (or butter)
- 1 - 3/4 - 1 lb. Parsnip
- 1/2 teaspoon Nigella seeds
- Sea salt
- Toast the nigella seeds in a pan, be careful not to burn them since they are black. They will just start to become fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pare the parsnip and slice it in to ribbons using the paring knife.
- Heat the ghee (or butter) in a pan over a medium heat. Add the parsnip ribbons and saute until golden at the edges, roughly 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in nigella seeds, tossing for even disbursement. Add desired amount of sea salt and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side