Author Notes: This sailors favorite recipe would use chipped beef when facing the high seas but let face it it can be a lot salty. So when on dry land why not use leftover corned beef. Serve on toast for SOS, mashed potatoes, on Holland rusks, English muffins or whatever raft the country you are in offers up. - Bob the sea cook
- 1 cup left over, home made corned beef, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon or more of fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt and failing that sea water
- Place a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan over medium heat and add the bacon grease. When it is hot add the corned beef and fry the beef until it gets brown.
- Add the flour and stir. Cook the flour until it is nutty smelling. This is important otherwise the flour will taste pasty in the finished gravy.
- Add the milk, half and half and the pepper. Stir and keep stirring until the gravy comes to a boil and thickens. Cook about five more minutes over low heat, taste and season accordingly. If it seems to thick add a little more milk. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gravy