Author Notes: This recipe makes a different and wonderful gravy for a traditional turkey but please, don't stop there.....try it with a rack of pork or lamb, roasted duck, rabbit or a chicken. Using traditional fall foods with a twist was what I was looking for when I created this gravy. I love chestnuts and pears so why not add them to a regular stock with some Madeira wine, pureed with some cream, and pats of butter to finish and your usual gravy is lifted to another level. Easy to make, easy to eat and easy to accept the compliments. - Stockout - Stockout
Food52 Review: The earthiness of the chestnuts combines with the fruitiness of the pear to create a gravy brimming with flavor. As the drippings and stock are reduced to make the gravy, be sure to add salt sparingly during the cooking process to avoid having an overly-salty sauce. – Andrea - A&M
Ingredients to add to your turkey roasting pan
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, choppes
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 cup Madeira
- bouquet garni (4 sprigs parsley, 4 thyme, 1 rosemary, 1 marjoram and 1 bay leaf) wrapped & tied in cheesecloth
- 2 cups of water
- giblets, washed
- Drippings and liquids strained from the turkey pan + enough chicken stock to make 3 cups
- 1 pound pears (seckel, Bosc, Anjou or Bartlett), peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled chestnuts (either fresh or jarred)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons pear eau-de-vie (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter for finishing
- In large 3 quart stockpot, pour 3 cups dripping liquids, pears, chestnuts and apple brandy (optional, can use regular brandy if you want).
- Simmer, very gently, until chestnuts are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Sieve through fine strainer, pushing solids with a spoon, back into saucepan. Make sure you run a spoon or spatula under the sieve to get all the goodness.
- Add cream and boil until reduced to saucelike consistency. Set aside.
- Right before serving, stir in brandy and butter, season with salt & pepper.