Author Notes: I love this sauce on fish, with rice, pasta and potatoes. The liquorice flavours of fennel mellow out completely yet don't lose their essence. - Kitchen Butterfly
Serves +/- 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 large fennel bulb, washed, cored and cut into thin slices
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock (low salt)
- 3 - 4 stalks fresh lemon thyme, leaves separated from stalks if possible
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Fennel fronds, to garnish
- In a pan, melt a tablespoon of the butter. Add the fennel slices and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Let cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the wine and let cook till the fennel softens. Remove from the heat and in a blender/food processor, blitz till the mixture is smooth.
- Return the fennel puree to the heat and add the chicken stock and thyme. Check for seasoning, adjust and let simmer slowly for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in half of the grated lemon zest and top the sauce with some finely chopped fennel fronds and the rest of the lemon zest
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gravy