If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love this sauce on fish, with rice, pasta and potatoes. The liquorice flavours of fennel mellow out completely yet don't lose their essence. - Kitchen Butterfly
Serves +/- 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 large fennel bulb, washed, cored and cut into thin slices
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock (low salt)
- 3 - 4 stalks fresh lemon thyme, leaves separated from stalks if possible
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Fennel fronds, to garnish
- In a pan, melt a tablespoon of the butter. Add the fennel slices and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Let cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the wine and let cook till the fennel softens. Remove from the heat and in a blender/food processor, blitz till the mixture is smooth.
- Return the fennel puree to the heat and add the chicken stock and thyme. Check for seasoning, adjust and let simmer slowly for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in half of the grated lemon zest and top the sauce with some finely chopped fennel fronds and the rest of the lemon zest
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gravy
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.