If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a traditional Swedish-farmstead recipe that works great as a warm, creamy alternative to pie. - Xcskier20 —Xcskier20
Food52 Review: This dish should not be saved for a special occasion. The simple preparation and flavorful warmth make it more suitable as an everyday comfort food. The freshly ground cardamom is the undertone that the cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla all play on. The liaison at the end gives it a golden (love the color of farm fresh egg yolks) creamy finish. My only warning: be aware of the absorption power of the chosen rice as my jasmine took on a bit more milk than Xcskier20 suggested in her recipe to get it past its grainy bite. - cheese1227 —The Editors
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups basmati, or other fragrant rice
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon high quality vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Add whole milk, sugar, rice to a large pot and cook over medium heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Open caramom pods and crush with mortar and pestle.
- Combine eggs, cream, vanilla, salt, and spices in a small bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the pot on the stove and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Enjoy! To follow tradition, add a penny to the cooled pudding. Whoever gets the penny gets good luck for the next year- if he or she doesn't choke on it.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.