If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We love pumpkin pie and pecan pie (and have favorite family recipes for both), but we always serve this dessert along with the rich pies – it looks like a deep red jewel on the table. It’s light and refreshing and full of surprises – cherries, lychees, crunchy pecans and the subtle flavor of Port. Who knew that jello could be this sophisticated? This has been a family staple for Thanksgiving and Christmas for almost 40 years – thanks to my mother-in-law, Grandma B. A big plus is that it takes only minutes to prepare and you can make it several days in advance. - Carrollmontreal
Serves 8 - 12
- 2 packages raspberry or wild cherry jello
- 1/2 cup Port (wine)
- 1 cup pitted Bing cherries, bottled or canned
- 1 1/2 cups lychee fruit, fresh or canned
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 1/3 cups juice (reserved from the fruit)
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- Drain cherries and lychees into a bowl or measuring cup and reserve liquid (you will need 1 1/3 cups total).
- Cut lychees into halves. Put cherries and lychees in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine 2 packages jello with 1 1/3 cups boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of Port and 1 1/3 cups juice (reserved from the fruit).
- Pour into a decorative jello mold or 8” cake tin. (I use a ring mold with a hole in the center.)
- Add cherries, lychees, and pecan halves and spread them around.
- Cover and chill until set.
- Slide a knife around the edges of the mold to loosen the jello.
- Place a serving plate face down on top of the mold, and (holding both the plate and the mold), flip them right-side up.
- Put a hot wet dish towel around the mold for 30 seconds and then lift off the mold.
- To serve: Use a knife to cut wedges and a pie server to transfer to plates.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.