If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe combines two of my families favorite desserts: Molasses Spice Cookies and Pumpkin Ice Cream. They are a refreshing addition to the dessert table and can be made in a variety of sizes to suit your appetite. Feel free to play with these: add chopped crystallized ginger or pumpkin seeds for taste & visual appeal. - sticksnscones
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks, unsalted butter- at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar+ additional for rolling
- 1 egg-at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3- 1/2 cups optional: crystallized ginger-chopped
- 1/3 cup optional: toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 pint, pumpkin ice cream or frozen yogurt
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour,baking soda, spices and salt.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the water. Mix until well blended.
- Add molasses and mix until well blended. Add optional chopped crystallized ginger.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- Place extra granulated sugar in bowl. Break off walnut sized balls and roll in sugar.
- Place dough on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and bake about 10 minutes or until just set. They may not look totally done, but you want them to be a little soft. Don't overbake!
- Let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before assembling sandwiches.
- Let pumpkin ice cream/yogurt soften to a spreadable consistency. Using an ice cream scoop, place a small scoop on the flat size of one of the cookies- try to spread it evenly. Place the second cookie flat side down on top of the ice cream. Press together so that the ice cream comes out to the edge of the cookie.
- Optional: Roll in additional crystallized ginger or pumpkin seeds.
- Wrap each sandwich in plastic and place in ziploc bag. Transfer to freezer.
- Remove from freezer shortly before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.