If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A few years back I was preparing a Thanksgiving dinner and as usual it didn't involve turkey, dressing, or gravy. It may have been a rack of lamb or roast pheasant, I don't recall, but I always try to make some nod at tradition on T'day and on this particular occasion came up with the idea of a cranberry mousse. - Kevin
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 pound fresh cranberries - washed and picked over
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 1/2 oranges)
- 1/2 cup Triple Sec
- 1 cup granulate sugar - separated
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Reserve a few cranberries for garnish.
- Sprinkle gelatin on 1/4 cup Triple Sec and allow to bloom (dissolve).
- Place cranberries in a large sauce pan with orange juice, 1/4 cup Triple Sec, 1/2 cup sugar, orange zest, and ginger over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cranberries break down - about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin mixture. Transfer to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Cool.
- Force cranberry mixture through a sieve, discarding solids.
- In the top of a double boiler, beat the egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar until they are a pale yellow. Cook over just bubbling water, stirring constantly, until yolks have thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine cranberry mixture with egg mixture.
- In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff (gradually adding remaining 1/4 cup sugar) and stir 1/3 of whipped cream into cranberry mixture to lighten it. Then pour cranberry mixture into bowl with whipped cream and gently fold together.
- Cover and chill mousse for at least 4 hours. This can be done in the large bowl or in individual bowls or glasses. Serve garnished with additional whipped cream and a 2 or 3 cranberries.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
A Dish You Can Rely On
The Cairo Kitchen
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.