If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family isn't big on pumpkin pie, but we always have it for tradition's sake. Last Thanksgiving I decided to try something new, so I made Crustless Milk and Cardamom “Pumpkin Pie," a creamy custard baked inside of a pumpkin, from No Recipes. I've since made the simple custard with a variety of new flavors and toppings--this pumpkin spice flavored custard with rummy pecan sauce is my favorite combo so far. Use 6-8 small ramekins. (http://norecipes.com/2008/12/02/crustless-milk-and-cardamom-%E2%80%9Cpumpkin-pie%E2%80%9D/) —Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A generous pinch of fresh ground nutmeg
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine both milks in a saucepan and gently heat until slightly frothy. Turn to low and add cinnamon stick, pie spice, and nutmeg--steep for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and continue steeping for about 10 minutes, until milk is lukewarm. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Whisk together the eggs and yolks then whisk this into the milk mixture.
- Pour mixture into ramekins and place ramekins in a baking dish. Fill baking dish with water (be careful not to get water in ramekins) halfway up side of ramekin.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until solid but still slightly jiggly.
- Cool until set.
Pecan Rum Sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans (whole and pieces)
- Combine water, sugar, and cinnamon stick. Boil for 5 minutes, remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick, and stir in rum. Add pecans.
- Serve warm or cool over cool custard cups... with a dollup of whipped cream if you're feelin' fancy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.