Author Notes: Some version of this recipe has been in my family since I was born. It was designed as a dessert recipe, but it makes a luxurious breakfast as well. The cakes can be made ahead and warmed in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes (or even in the microwave for 20 seconds or so), and the sauce can be made ahead and microwaved as well. - mg2157
- 1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (frozen and defrosted is fine)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease standard-size muffin tin.
- Mix first six ingredients using stand mixer or hand mixer until just smooth -- do not over beat.
- Stir in cranberries, orange zest, and walnuts (if using).
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and just set in center.
- 1/2 cup (two sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- Heat all in medium saucepan over medium heat until combined and golden brown. Cool slightly, then spoon sauce over warm cakes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert