If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The film "What's Cooking?" is a depiction of Thanksgiving at 4 ethnic American households. One of the desserts at the Latino meal is this flan, which we created for our book "Cooking with the Movies: Meals on Reels." —Anthony Chiffolo
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12-fl oz can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the sugar over medium heat until caramel colored. Pour into a 9" round glass baking dish, coating the bottom and sides.
- In a large bowl, beat the yolks until light yellow in color. Add the condensed and evaporated milks and the vanilla, and beat until very smooth. Pour mixture into the baking dish. Set inside a larger pan; add water so that it comes up as much as possible around the edges of the flan pan.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, invert the flan onto a plate with high sides. Surround with edible fl owers for decoration.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Put Pizza in a Pocket
Get ready to feel nostalgic
Put pizza in a pocket.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
Can your lunch handle the commute?
It's in the bag.