If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my best childhood holiday memory was dinner at gramma's and her historical unmatched classic, no one could ever replicate, her beautiful golden Flan.
And this is my attempt at reviving a family tradition. I tweaked a Traditional Portuguese Recipe that dates back to the 17th century Convents where nuns developed and mastered the science of dessert making and baking giving birth to what are still known today as "Doces Conventuais" or Desserts from the Convent, a Portuguese tradition that have stood the test of time. —natty
- 12 ounces Sugar
- 16 ounces Whole Milk
- 3 tablespoons green tea (leaves)
- 15 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat melt 4oz of sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Pour hot liquid into a round baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides (you may use glass or ceramic, just make sure it can withstand the oven temperature). Coating the dish is a struggle, so don't get discouraged! It may take some practice, just make sure at least the bottom is covered.
- Heat up milk to about 180F (80C), add green tea leaves and let it rest covered for about 10min.Use a strainer to separate milk from tea leaves and reserve milk.
- In a bowl whist egg yolks, then add remaining sugar and slowly incorporate the milk. Mix until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into the sugar coated baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil and oven bake it in a double boiler for about 60min.
- Allow Flan to cool to room temperature and place it the fridge until ready to serve. To serve, flip it over a serving place deep enough to accommodate all liquid
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Well, This is Appeeling
Tomato skins, meet salt
Tomato skins, meet salt.
This weekend's reading.
It's time to travel.
Out of the park toppings.
Put cake on a pedestal.