If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Earlier I tried to make a trifle with cranberries, but was not totally enamored with the outcome after a day. So I experimented further with this ice cream recipe. The basis is a traditional cranberry orange relish that we always made every Thanksgiving in my family as I was growing up. By lightening the relish with whipped cream, this can make a very soft, rich, velvety smooth ice cream. I am going to save this for Thanksgiving night, because the samples were so dreamy. - Sagegreen
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1.5 ounces honey
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup freshly whipped cream, unsweetened
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- 1 orange, deseeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 ounce Cointreau or Grand Marnier, optional
- pinch of salt
- dollops of whipped cream
- splash of spirit, Cointreau or Grand Marnier, optional
- herbal sprig, mint or lavender
- In a saucepan or upper section of a double boiler, whisk together the egg yolks, spice, honey, and sugar. Whisking constantly bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened. Whisk in the whipped cream. Then whisk in the half and half. Let cool. Chill for several hours.
- Grind the cranberries and oranges. Mix together. Add the honey, salt, lime, and spices. Chill for several hours.
- Using a chilled ice cream attachment or maker, first stir in the chilled cream mixture. Process for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the chilled fruit mix next and process until creamy and frozen.
- To serve, scoop out into glasses. Garnish with whipped cream, herbal sprigs and optional splash of spirit. Store any leftover ice cream in the freezer. If you used spirit in the original mix, it will not freeze as thoroughly, but will remain a bit softer. You can always add the spirit later.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.