If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here, the tartness of rhubarb and cranberries is delicately balanced with the sweetness of apples and pears. Instead of the usual 'pumpkin pie' spices, I tossed in a few splashes of bitters to lend a bit of spice and a hint of Je ne sais quoi. - TiggyBee
- 1 bunch washed and cut rhubarb
- 2 peeled, cored and sliced pears
- 2 peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Angostura bitters
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- In a sauce pan, combine the apple cider, sugar and orange zest and bring to a near boil.
- Add the apples and pears and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, then add the rhubarb and continue to cook for a few minutes longer until it starts to soften. At this point, toss in the cranberries and bitters. The cranberries will be done when they start to burst. (1 to 2 minutes over med-high heat.) Taste and add more sugar and bitters if necessary.
- Spoon over your favorite ice cream when cooled a bit and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert