Author Notes: I love apples. I love cream cheese. I love caramel. I love cake. What could be better than cream cheesy apple cake with caramel glaze? - jerseyhousewife
Serves 8 - 10
Cake with cream cheese filling
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened + 2 tablespoons (divided)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, + 1/2 cup (divided)
- 3 eggs + 1 egg (for filling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Zest of one lemon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add diced apples, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cook until apples are soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (f) and prepare a Bundt pan with butter and flour.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together one-half cup of butter with the sugar. Add three eggs, one at a time and beat well. Mix in vanilla and milk. Combine with dry ingredients. Fold in cooked apples.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese, one egg, 1/2 cup sugar and the zest of one lemon. Mix until smooth in texture.
- Pour half the cake batter into prepared Bundt pan. Spoon cream cheese filling evenly over batter and then cover with remaining half of the batter. Bake for 50 - 55 minutes, or until cake is done. You can test doneness by pressing lightly on the cake to see if it springs back. Cool completely.
- Prepare caramel glaze with pecans. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring until sugar is melted completely. Add salt and cream and continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan and spoon glaze evenly over cake. Sprinkle chopped pecans over top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake