Author Notes: I once made a Pumpkin Goat Cheese Cheesecake that was really unusual and delicious. Here are the same flavors, in cupcake form. Sometimes, I dip the tops of the nekkid cupcakes into a simple cinnamon and powdered sugar icing, to keep the cupcakes vegan. - mrslarkin
Makes 12 cupcakes or one 9" cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- turbinado sugar, for decorating cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with Pam. Line with paper cupcake liners and spray the liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well.
- Here's an easy way to measure liquids and wet solids together: In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure out the 1/2 cup water and 3/4 cup oil. Add the 3/4 cup pumpkin puree. You should be at the 2-cup line now. Add the vinegar and stir together the wet ingredients.
- Stir wet into dry until smooth. Fill cupcake liners evenly. Lick the bowl, if you so desire.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. I rotate my cupcake pan half way through the baking time. Let cool 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- If you’d like, you can bake the batter in a 9” cake pan, sprayed with Pam and lined with parchment, for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Frost. Lick the bowl, if you so desire. Lightly sprinkle turbinado sugar over top.
goat cheese frosting (makes quite a bit of frosting; reduce the recipe according to your needs and wants)
- 6 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar, or more
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the wet ingredients together until smooth.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar. Pulse mixer slowly at first, then increase speed until frosting is thick and spreadable to your liking. If too runny, mix in a spoonful of powdered sugar at a time.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert