Author Notes: A very easy side dish for vegetarians, vegans and omnivores alike! A mix of four favorite greens makes it a bit more interesting than plain sauted spinach. This side is light and subtle enough to get along supremely next to... let's say... apartmentcooker's decedant Individual Sweet Potato Gratins?
- 1 pound kale (washed, trimmed, stems removed)
- 1 pound mustard greens (washed, trimmed, stems removed)
- 1 pound swiss chard (washed, trimmed, stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot (medium dice)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 pound spinach
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch the greens: Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add kale, mustard greens and swiss chard to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes (they will cook more when sauteeing with aromatics). Remove from heat and immediately plunge blanched greens into a bowl of very cold water. Drain and squeeze out any excess water. Set aside.
- Saute the Aromatics: Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, stirring constantly, cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the sherry, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any browned bits of garlic or onion.
- Saute the Greens: Add the drained greens to the pan, plus the vegetable broth and the spinach. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until spinach is wilted. Reomve from heat. Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the Garnish: In a skillet on medium heat, toast the slivered almonds until they begin to become fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and continue toasting until pepper flakes are fragrant and almonds are a golden brown (don't over cook or the pepper flakes will be come bitter). Remove from heat and sprinkle atop the cooked greens.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side