If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a Sonoran style dish, every mexican restaurant you go to, worth a dime, serves this dish. For variety I sometimes like to use different combinations of chiles. A favorite is a mixture of ancho, New Mexican mild, NM hot, pasilla and chipotle. - Martin69
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut in bite size cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 6 - 8 dried chiles, break off stems and shake out seeds
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mexican oregano (1 1/2 t if not mexican)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- Prepare chile puree. Place chiles in large nonreactive bowl. Add boiling water to cover and try to ensure that chiles stay submerged. Let stand 30 40 min to soften. Remove chiles to blender. Taste soaking water; if it's bitter discard it and use plain water for the rest, else use a mixture of soaking water and plain water. If you don't want to taste it, it's safer to toss it and use plain water. Add 1 to 1 1/2 c water to chiles and blend until very smooth, 1 to 2 min. Pour mixture through strainer, pressing pulp with spoon or rubber spatula to get all the puree out. Set aside.
- Heat 2 T oil in heavy skillet. Add meat and cook until browned. Add 2 c water, cover and simmer 1 hour. Add chile puree to meat and stir in. Mash salt and garlic together to make a paste. Saute chopped onion in 1 1/2 T oil until tender. Mix in salt/garlic paste and 1 1/2 T flour. Stir 1 min to get raw taste out of the flour and add mixture to simmering beef. Add cumin, pepper and oregano. Cover and simmer 2 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
Conquer Your Cast Iron
Love and elbow grease is all you need.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Slow-Cooked Dinner Tonight
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Grilled Brie Sandwiches