If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is my take on a classic Sicilian recipe which pairs broccoli rabe with golden raisins, pine nuts, dried red pepper flakes and garlic. I took kale or a mixture of dark leafy greens (beet greens, collards) and married it with a variety of aromatics (garlic, ginger and lemongrass or some variety there of), toasted nuts (I've used walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts), dried fruit (mango, apricot, currants) and spices (ras el hanout, garam masala). I have made it in all variations for many people who claim not to like vegetables, all of whom love it and eventually ask for the recipe. The sweetness of the dried fruit is a nice foil for the bitter of the greens. http://knifestylesofthefitandfabulous.blogspot.com/2010/03/kale-crusader.html - ChefShanaRachel
- 1 bunch kale per person, removed from stem and ripped into bite size pieces, blanched, shocked and drained of any excess liquid
- 1 tablespoon garlic, ginger, or lemongrass, per bunch (or all) - minced
- 1/4 cup dried fruit per bunch, chopped
- 1/2 cup nuts, roasted, per bunch, rough chop
- 1 teaspoon spices (ras el hanout, garam masala, red pepper flakes) - your choice
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat saute pan over medium-low heat (you want to make sure it's not too hot as you don't want the garlic to burn.)
- Add olive oil (for a low fat version, you can use veggie stock)
- Add minced garlic, ginger, lemongrass
- When fragrant (about 30 seconds to a minute) add dried fruit and a pinch of salt and cook for about 3 min or until changes texture and looks soft
- Add kale/bitter greens and a pinch of salt and sauté until wilted (about 8-10 min)
- Add nuts, stir to combine, remove from heat
- Salt to taste
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.