If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For a great vegetarian side dish combine cranberry beans, blood red orange zest and juice, ginger, cranberries, carrots, Turkish red lentils, and Bhutanese red rice, (or brown rice if you can't find the red). Cranberry beans are also known as borlotti beans. I recommend dried, but canned could be rinsed and then added to the rice cooker. Fresh cranberry beans, when you can find them, do not need soaking. - Sagegreen
- 15 ounces cooked cranberry beans (dried are best to work with)
- 1/2 cup rough cut one inch match stick carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, cut in halves
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup tiny cubed pumpkin or butternut squash, the size of a large bean
- zest of 1 blood red orange, or plain orange
- juice of 1-2 fresh blood red orange(s), @ 1/2-3/4 cup , or plain orange
- 2 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup brown rice, well rinsed (short grain) or red Bhutan rice
- 1 cup Turkish red lentils, washed
- 1 teaspoon Turkish saffron
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 4 1/2 cups water
- If you have to cook the cranberry beans first, soak 1 cup of the dried beans overnight in the 3 cups of water. Then bring the water to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes. The beans should be al dente. Or drain and rinse a can of borlotti beans in water.
- Marinate the cranberries and carrot sticks in two tablespoons of orange juice and honey with cinnamon for at least one hour and up to half a day.
- Soak the rice and lentils in the remaining orange juice, orange zest, spices, grated ginger, salt, and water for at least one hour.
- Combine all the ingredients in a rice cooker and cook until tender. Or bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook in a covered pan until tender for about 25 minutes or so. Fluff and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
Home & Design Link Love
How-to DIY a cheeseboard, keep lilacs from going limp, and more.
Home & design links we love.
Fact: Kids love pizza.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Recipe of the Day
Mortar and pestle perfection.