Author Notes: Kibbeh is a Middle Eastern dish usually made with ground meat (lamb), bulghur and spices. My mother-in-law is Labenese, and she once made pumpkin kibbeh. We almost finished the whole pan in one sitting, my husband and I couldn't stop eating it. I made a few variations to her recipe, I use sweet potato, less olive oil, and ground coriander. This side dish is guaranteed to please both vegetarians and omnivores. - Krystal Ford - Krystal Ford
Food52 Review: I was surprised at how flavorful this dish was with so few ingredients and ground coriander as the only spice. It was fragrant and enticing with a floral undertone. And, boy, is it filling! A tiny serving of this would suffice as a side dish; I think it's actually better suited as a vegetarian main course. Be aware that this recipe makes quite a lot -- as a main dish, it could easily feed 8 hungry people and as a side dish, you could feed a small army. The only thing I would change is that the onions never really softened or sweetened so they were a little harsh, so I would either use a sweet onion or saute them first before cooking. - vrunka
- 6 cups cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup onion, julienned
- 2 cups bulghur cracked wheat
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1-2 tablespoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Put in a saucepan and cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile Julienne two medium onions (1 cup worth) and place in the bottom of glass 9x9 baking dish. Cover with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Place 2 cups of bulghur in a bowl, sprinkle with a tbsp of salt and just enough hot water to cover bulghur. Let stand 20 min and squeeze out any remaining water.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, drain, and mash. Add 1 tbs of coriander and 1 tbs of salt and stir.
- Combine bulghur, 1 cup of diced onion with mashed sweet potato. Spoon into baking dish over the layer of onions. Smooth surface.
- Using a butter knife make 1 inch square or diamond pattern on the surface then spread 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the surface.
- Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.