Author Notes: Our fig tree produced fruit much later this year than it had last year, but we are having a bountiful harvest nonetheless. Here is a sweet treat taking advantage of these fresh figs! - StephanieBezner
- 1 2/3 cup gingersnaps
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 ounces raw almonds, blanched and peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 pound figs, quartered
- 5 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Process gingersnaps in a food processer until they are crumbs. Pour gingersnap crumbs into a bowl and combine with melted butter. Spread and press into an 8" round tart pan with removable base. Pre-bake tart shell for 8 minutes. Allow tart shell to cool.
- In a food processor, process almonds, sugar, vanilla, butter and salt. Once the mixture is crumbly, add two eggs until smooth paste develops.
- Once tart shell has cooled a bit, spread the almond mixture in the base of the tart. Arrange the cut figs on top of the almond mixture, pushing in a bit. Bake the tart until puffed and golden, about 40 to 45 minutes. (You should put the tart pan on a baking sheet to avoid overflow.)
- Combine honey and water and heat 15 seconds in microwave. Once tart has cooled for a few minutes, brush top of tart with honey mixture.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fig Recipe