Author Notes: Rice is brilliant and doesn’t have to be just a side, it’s great as a quick snack. Here are 2 simple rules for perfect fluffy rice. First, not too much water, second, thoroughly washed before use. You can adapt the recipe by adding different vegetables or meat e.g. pork, peppers, red onion etc. You can also add a small amount of peanut butter to give a nutty taste to the dish. - grantacus
- 2 cups Rice (basmati my preferred choice)
- 2 Chicken Breast (medium size)
- 1 Clove Garlic (finely sliced)
- Chicken Stock
- 4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Spring Onions (finely sliced)
- To start wash the rice in a sieve so that the water runs clear, removing all starch, brown rice is easy to do this with, however white rice will take longer. This prevents your rice from being stodgy.
- Put washed rice in a pan and cover 1cm over the surface with cold water. Add a small amount of chicken stock to flavor. Cover and put on a low heat and leave for around 20 minutes, until the rice has absorbed all the water. It is important not to move the rice in any way, this also prevents it from going stodgy. Once cooked take off the heat. you can fluff it up with a fork.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, fry the chicken breast off in a frying pan. If it is non-stick I would use little oil, if not, add some oil to crisp the skin. Once cooked on both sides until golden, leave to cool and shred. (Cooking time can be increased by slicing the chicken thinly before frying)
- In a frying pan or wok (preferably wok) add the oil, soy sauce and sugar, cook over a medium heat. Fry off the garlic then add the rice and the chicken. Mix together well and add the spring onions at the last minute to give a little crunch. Season to taste, I would only add pepper as the soy and stock are quite salty.