If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is comfort food at its best: silky, soft red cabbage, braised in a sweet-sour mix of red wine and red wine vinegar, red onions, tomatoes, and some brown sugar. But hey, it's Thanksgiving, so let's doll this up, shall we? A sprinkling of pomegranate seeds give the finished dish some bling. The vivid red color of the cabbage makes this a welcome accompaniment to any Thanksgiving plate, vegetarian or not. - Rivka
Makes 1 big pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red onions, sliced thinly ( I needed 2 medium onions)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large red cabbage, halved, cored, and sliced thinly
- 1 apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 cups canned tomatoes
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine (whatever's open)
- salt and pepper
- seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In very large heavy pot or dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Add cabbage, apple, tomatoes, cranberries, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, red wine, and 2 cups of water. Cover the pot, and leave unattended for about 10 minutes. When you return, the cabbage will have softened, and the other ingredients will have started to come together.
- Transfer pot with cabbage to a 300-degree oven. Cover, and cook until cabbage is wilted and soft, about 1 hour. Check occasionally; you may need to add water to prevent sticking. I used about 2 3/4 cups of water in all.
- Remove cabbage from the oven. Taste cabbage, and season with salt and pepper as necessary. Serve cabbage warm, in a pretty casserole (mine was burnt orange) dotted with pomegranate seeds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side