If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I used to like the Jolly Green Giant canned stuff until I realized how easy it is to make Three Bean Salad yourself. I pared my version down to the key elements in order to minimize fuss (it comes together in about 15 minutes), but you can easily embellish it: use fresh green beans or a mixture of green and yellow beans; add a spice like curry or chile powder; or use a mixture of fresh herbs, like dill, mint and thyme, along with the parsley. The salad can be made ahead, with the dressing acting as a marinade (add the parsley just before serving). However, the longer it sits, the duller the color of the green beans. A few hours is optimal, but I think a day ahead would be fine too. - julie_chicago
Serves 4 to 6
- 1-15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 1-12 oz bag frozen green beans
- 3 tablespoons safflower or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- In a large bowl, combine beans and onion. Prepare an ice bath (fill a large bowl halfway with ice and add cold water). Steam green beans in microwave according to package directions (I like the beans slightly under done and firm for this salad). Immediately chill green beans in ice bath for about 3 minutes to stop cooking and preserve bright color. Drain and air dry or pat dry with paper towel. Add to bowl with other beans.
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, sugar and mustard. Shake until emulsified (if you don't have a jar, whisk in a bowl). Drizzle about two-thirds of dressing over bean mixture and toss. Add more dressing if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, add parsley and toss again.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.