Author Notes: This one comes from my husband's mother who was a fine cook. We've tried many nouveau latke recipes but always come back to the original. The smell of frying latkes at Hanukkah wouldn't be the same without it. - KarenO
Serves a crowd
- 5 lb potatoes
- 4 onions
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour (or more)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- sour cream
- canola oil
- Peel and grate the potatoes (medium grind, not fine). This can be done on a box grater or in a food processor (so much easier!). Ring them out in a clean towel to get most of the water out.
- Peel and grate the onions.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Add salt to taste and more flour if needed (the mixture shouldn't be watery).
- Fry in plenty of canola oil until crisp, flipping once.
- Serve with sour cream and/or applesauce.
- NOTE: These freeze well so you can make them ahead and pop them frozen into a 350 oven for 10-12 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes